Friday, November 09, 2007

Are you God Fearing?

Its a very queer sounding phrase.. And I don't think I've quite heard it outside south India, let alone India!
Am I god fearing? Absolutely not!!!
I would like to think I am God loving - but I am not that either - I'm not a complete agnostic, and I'm quite selfish if and when I ever turn to God. But then that's about it. I love the sanctity, the purity, and dignity of the rituals which are so much a traditional part of my community. I do it, not out of love/fear of God - but I see it as a long lost link to my traditional orthodox past. And I don't lose any part of my individuality in doing it - sometime it makes me feel like I belong, and I think sometimes I do crave that acceptance having been a nomadic mutt in my upbringing.
So do I fear God, for he may smite me from the heavens above? No - I don't fear Him - I fear taxes, credit card bills, and the mad-cap drivers of bangalore and the occassional bad-hair day, yes - but not God...
I think He is very deceiving in his design - its like the mob boss you've jilted by doing business with someone else. He gags you & brings you to his lair - and then he never touches you - but he conjures up all these beautiful ways of killing you and your family.. and you weep - you beg for forgiveness, and you swear a life-long loyalty to him lest anything ever happen to your progeny. And after a lot of humming and hawing he gives you the reprieve.. and a harsh warning - you go back counting you lucky stars. True power lies in the catch and release technique - if God were to smite every sinner, the earth would be a very desolate place. And considering christianity's take on original sin, we'd all be out before the first ball was bowled!

No comments: