Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Chronos" - ne pas abuser

In Greek mythology Chronos is THE personification of time.
In the modern day and age, I, the author, upholds Chronos with the dignity he truly deserves.
One of the primary principles, my pet peeves, and something that I find more insulting than someone calling me a "curd-rice eating whore" is when people don't keep appointments.
Have you heard the : "I shall have it done by 5pm" at 6:30 pm?
Have you heard the : "I shall be there in 5 minutes" an hour later?
In this day and age, when people carry watches, have cellphones with alarms, it is basically disrespectful when you propose to have something or commit to something and not deliver it by that time. In fact I am even willing to go out on a limb and allow for some latitude in when you cannot finish that task, its only because you are human - what is not acceptable is that you take your own sweet time in telling me that you will be late.
Following are the rules
1. Make a time-related commitment with me, if and only if you can adhere to it. Or else tell me you will be done before I die of old age..
2. Do not let me know you wont be done after the deadline has passed. That is strictly unprofessional. Also not when the deadline is about to pass.
Two things tell me about a person who would call me if he/she isnt able to make it to an appointment well in advance. It tells me the persons cares about my time - if you don't respect my time, I don't have the slightest iota of respect for you as a person - I don't care if you are Warren F-ing Buffet.
And time management has nothing to do with if you are the giver or the taker in that particular relationship - self-respect above everything else. Business is secondary.
So if you plan to meet me, let me know when - and show up at that time. There has been no appointment - either personal or professional where I havent showed up 10 minutes of before it - It is a habit I cherish a lot, and it tells a lot to people about me as a person - it says "I care" in louder words and makes an excellent impression. I have my flaws, of which there aren't many ;-) , but if you matter to me in the slightest possible way you will have my respect, and you will have my time - Question is, do you respect my time, ergo do you respect me?

No comments: