Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Perpetual Fountain

Well before I post the remainder of the blog, let me put up a disclaimer.
It AINT possible. Nyet! You are not going to have a perpetual motion machine at least on planet earth.
The perpetual machine works on a simple concept. Well - just that isn't possible, but its a different matter. It states that the a perpetual motion machine works on the principle that it produces more energy output than its input energy. Now in the IT industry, we know people are over-paid slobs. But that's another matter. It is not possible for any machine, your mechanics text-books would tell you for you to build a machine which is > 100% efficient.
The main problem behind a perpetual motion machine obviously lies in the conversion losses. All reactions lead to losses in terms of either resistance or friction.
In the following picture, the classic case of the perpetual motion machine shows how friction on the shaft actually slows down the movement of the ball bearings.


There is a fountain in front of the place that I work - it has two simple levels across which water cascades as shown below.
My aim was to build an energyless [yea I know it sounds stupid - since I know what happens with perpetual machines], but I came up with this idea nevertheless.
Somehow I thought this was a panacea - although I kind of knew this wouldn't work, and it would be apparent to a high school student, I wasn't quite convinced otherwise. It took me a good 30 minutes before I figured out why.
Imagine the gardener who decided to build this perpetual fountain. The moment he drops water into the bigger tank it would start filling up the other tank as well. So what if I close the inlet valve between the two tanks you ask? Well the moment you open up the inlet valve, it is in the nature of water, and characterized by Bernoulli's principle that water will find its level, provided no external forces are acting upon it [energy input = 0 in my case], and so the tanks would try to level off. If the level in one isn't enough it will spill out of the shorter tank until it so reaches a volume [max height of small tank] where the two levels would reconcile and the fountain would stop. This has to do with the forces of gravity trying to ensure that the pressure exerted by one column of water downwards is the same as that by the other provided no other forces act upon it, and the redistribution of water levels ensure this parity.
Oh well, another day gone, and another lesson learnt.

No comments: