Friday, August 01, 2008

Man's most brilliant creation

Of all the things that man has made, and he has made many, I am of the belief that music is the most abstract yet pleasurable creations ever. I am not one to willingly accept God, religion. I am a man of science who moves electrons without thinking twice, but there is poetry in the way the notes move on an instrument, or off the lips of a young female singer.
I was watching a movie last night - something I had seen back in 1998, its called Mr. Holland's Opus with the lead role played by Richard Dreyfus. It is a beautiful movie about one man's love for music, and why and how it mattered to him to make others love it as much as he did. But he struggles to teach his own son, who is deaf from birth, to love something which has been his life. What started out as a part-time job for him to make some money enough to get into composing for his own, turned on to become his life mission. To teach music to kids. To make them love it as much as he did. Not just reading notes, but to feel it through them.
In the end he gets a tribute for his 30 years of selfless devotion that brings tears to the eyes of those who watch as much as it did to Mr. Holland. What more could you ask for fulfillment in life?
The other movie that I liked, but was on a very different scale, was School of Rock - Jack Black is really amazing in his role as the fake substitute teacher. He made me love AC-DC again - he made hard rock cool, without the profanities. While a lot of the plot is suspended disbelief, he makes me love the way he loves to play.
Its a shame we in India never teach our children music in schools, except perhaps for the most priciest private schools. I learnt to play a little bit of the violin as a kid, and I learnt it more because I played by ear rather than learn music. I tried getting hooked on to the guitar but I never really caught on - and its sad. I love the beauty of music composition more than any other thing, and its the pleasure of hearing people create those melodies, which makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: