Friday, January 18, 2008

Dog in the Manger..

I see a lot of the dog in the manger mentality..
Flashback - in case you didn't read your English books/stories as a kid - the dog in the manger mentality refers to the presence of a dog in a manger, a cow-shed if you will, and while a dog doesn't eat grass, it didn't allow the cows to eat it either. Well, any symbiotic relationship involves a bit of give and take, but the fact that a lot of people love to have a say, without being responsible for their inputs actually pisses me off. Give me responsibility, I relish it, and I absolutely stand by whatever I do, no matter what the outcome. I don't care how outcomes reflects on me, because to me, if I make a conscious decision at a point in time, I think there a pretty darn good reason for doing so.
These days the communists are a very good example of the "dog in the manger" mentality. A role in running the destiny of a billion people, the ability to pull a government down, without having to be directly responsible to the people for their behavior.
I have no respect for someone who tries to weasel his way out of something - be a man, stand up for your actions - often a good justification, serves to highlight that even while hindsight is 20-20 we are often blinded by the absence of providence.

No comments: