Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tampere - September 2008

Its been a pretty hectic trip - I was in 4 cities over a 5 day period and the daily travel was demanding but I didn't feel the physical strain of it thanks to awesome Finnair, and VR for making all those rides feel comfy.


Tampere is the 3rd largest city in Finland.
Its not exceedingly pretty or a world class city by any stretch of imagination. The entire city has the pulse of say - Kormangala in Bangalore [okay maybe just 1st block].
I love walking around the place though - with its well manicured roads, walkways and greenery all around even in September.
The temperature is down to 8 degrees even on most days, but its bearable without the chilly nippy wind, and ice-cold rain.




Its about that time of year - Fall Colors as they used to call it back in North Carolina - leaves are a-changing, to brilliant hues of yellow, and violet. I heard the Laplands are a must-visit at this time of the year to witness the beautiful color changes, but alas I am a little pressed for time on this trip - Perhaps some other time?



I sit across the embankment - to the left of this picture - there are a few trees and park benches - to just sit and watch the water fall across a 20-foot cascade. The wild life consists of a bunch of ducks swimming around. There are a few kids who fish too - although I haven't seen anyone catch anything.


Shopping has been a dissapointment though - I head to the local flea-markets, supermarkets, malls - with an open mind to buy anything which would be considered a souvenir to take back home - I haven't been rewarded yet - today is my last weekend in this place, so let me see if I can scope something out to take back home. All I have left is my memories [ and there aren't a lot of them ;-) ]

No comments: